Then, you’ll be able to reach current and potential customers with instant messages for greater engagement and additional line of support and communication.
Let’s see how you can make a WhatsApp Business Account and start using it for marketing.
What exactly is a WhatsApp Business Account?
A WhatsApp Business Account is the account a company makes to access the WhatsApp business tools. Just like individuals sign up for the messaging app with their name and phone number, companies have to do that too to use WhatsApp for business. Only, they need to provide a few more details to prove their authenticity.
How to create a WhatsApp Business Account
First, let’s clear up a common misconception. If you want to use WhatsApp for your business, you have two options.
One is the free but limited in features WhatsApp Business app and the other is the paid but rich in features WhatsApp Business API. There is a difference between the WhatsApp app and the API in what they can offer your marketing efforts.
The option you choose to use leads to a different way to make a WhatsApp business account. We’ll take you through both ways.
Creating an account for WhatsApp Business App
The WhatsApp Business App is free to use but limited in capacity so it’s suitable for micro and small businesses. You can only use it on one device, tied to one phone number, which is quite restrictive for bigger teams. Here’s how to create a business account in the WhatsApp app.
- The app is available for free on Google Play Store (android) and Apple App Store (iOS). Download it on your smartphone and follow the standard app installation instructions.
- You’ll have to register. That includes inputting the phone number you want to use for business in international format. Then choose how you want to be contacted for validating this number: SMS or call. Either way, you’ll receive a 6-digit confirmation code. (More details here.)
- Give WhatsApp permission to access your phone book contacts.
- Fill out your account details: business name, business category, profile picture.
- Now, you can create a WhatsApp business profile for contacts to see to better present your brand. It’s done from Explore -> Business profile. Fields to fill out include business description, open hours, physical location, and more.
- You’re all set! You can start chatting with contacts who have your number in their address book.
Small business owners who already use WhatsApp for personal communication may want to just switch to the business app. Well, it can be done but there’s a catch. Each phone number can be associated with only one account so you can get a new number or convert your personal one for business.
How to convert your WhatsApp into a business account
- Update the WhatsApp app you’re currently using and download the WhatsApp Business app.
- Open it and, after you agree to the terms and conditions, you’ll reach the WhatsApp number verification step.
- The app will show the number you use for WhatsApp Messenger. Tap on the “Use number” button to confirm if you want to use it as a business phone number from now on. That’s how you convert your personal WhatsApp to a business account. Your chat history will also be transferred to the business account.
Creating an account for WhatsApp Business API
The WhatsApp Business API is the advanced WhatsApp solution for mid-sized and large companies. It offers the complete set of WhatsApp features but as any API, it doesn’t have а user interface. You need to integrate it with another software such as a marketing platform to use it. It’s paid by message and rates vary depending on the other side’s country code. Learn more about the WhatsApp API here.
To be able to use the API from a service provider, e.g. the Brevo (ex Sendinblue) WhatsApp Business API, you need to create a WhatsApp Business account first and then link it when connecting to the API.
Or use the embedded signup directly on the Brevo platform to complete the process in minutes.
1. Activate WhatsApp in your Brevo admin.
2. Click on Login with Facebook to start.
3. Link your existing Facebook Business account by entering your login credentials
OR fill in the information (e.g. business name, phone number, valid business website, and business email address) to create a new one:
4. Next, you need to create a WhatsApp Business profile.
This is how people will see your business on WhatsApp. If you already have it, it’ll appear on this step and you can select it. If not, choose Create new WhatsApp Business profile.
Directly in the window, enter your business category, display name, and short description.
5. Then, verify the WhatsApp Business number you want to use for WhatsApp campaigns.
It can be the one you used for your Facebook account or on the WhatsApp Business App (here’s a migration guide). Or simply register a new one.
Make sure that the phone number:
- Is owned by you
- Hasn’t been used with the WhatsApp Business Platform before
- Has a country and area code, such as landline and cell numbers
- Is able to receive voice calls or SMS
- Is not a short code
Choose your verification method (text message or voice call) and click on Send Code.
6. Success! Your WhatsApp Business account is now connected to Brevo
Side note: Your WhatsApp Business account also needs verification. It’s done through the WhatsApp Business Manager on Facebook and asks for a few details and documents about your business.
This step makes sure your business is legitimate and follows Meta’s business conduct policies. Without it, the sending limit is only 50 messages a day and your account will get suspended in 30 days. Then, you’ll have to contact Meta to reestablish your account. That’s why we recommend you complete the setup process and account verification in one go.
Once both your number and account are verified, you’re ready to start sending WhatsApp messages. Here’s how to create or import a list of WhatsApp contacts.
Here’s a video (shorter than 3 mins!) of how to get started with WhatsApp campaigns on Brevo.
Business vs Official WhatsApp Account
You might be confused by the two terms when you stumble across them. They stand for two different tiers, let’s say, a WhatsApp account can have.
WhatsApp business account
A WhatsApp business account is any account of a business on WhatsApp, no matter if they use the app or the API. It’s simply to distinguish between a company and an individual’s personal presence on the platform. This is what any business gets when it goes through either one of the processes of creating an account outlined above.
Official WhatsApp account
An Official WhatsApp Account looks like the one below, with a green badge and brand name. You need to be on the API and go through a separate (and a lot more rigorous) verification process to be given the green badge. Only very big companies usually get it.
However, any business can apply to get their brand as a display name to appear next to the phone number, even without an official account.
And this is how to make a WhatsApp Business Account. Nothing crazy, right? You can get set up and running WhatsApp marketing campaigns in no time.
Create your WhatsApp Business account with Brevo
Seamless integration, no coding required, signup forms to grow your WhatsApp list and unlimited contact storage! Pay only for messages, no setup or license fees.